St Kitts and Nevis was until recently one of the safest Caribbean islands from COVID-19 but a recent outbreak and its first death from the virus has forced the government to implement tighter protocols and create a State of Emergency until July 6.
St Kitts recorded the first coronavirus related death on Thursday as the community spread of the virus became uncontrollable across the twin-island nation. There is also a curfew, and all gatherings are restricted island wide. Curfew hours are currently from 6 pm to 5 am until Friday (June 26).
Dr Cameron Wilkinson, Chief Surgeon and Medical Chief of Staff JNF Hospital, said that a significant proportion of people who are being infected with COVID-19 are unvaccinated, with just a few having recently received their first shot.
He said there had been no incidents of infection in a fully vaccinated adult. Dr Wilkinson said: “People were misled into believing that they could wait for a better vaccine.
They were misled into believing that if they took vitamins and became as strong as an ox, they will be protected from this deadly virus.”
He said that people were tricked into believing that it is a personal choice and not that their decision could have far-reaching consequences for others.
Now only vaccinated travellers can visit St Kitts based on a new policy which requires tourists, including those from the United States with either a two-dose vaccine, like the Pfizer/BioNTEC, Moderna, or AstraZeneca shots, or a single-dose vaccine, such as the Johnson & Johnson shot.
24 Sep, 2019
25 Feb, 2020
28 Jun, 2019
18 Nov, 2019
We appreciate your feedback. You can comment here with your pseudonym or real name. You can leave a comment with or without entering an email address. All comments will be reviewed before they are published.