In the past, the RCIPS has responded to and investigated reports of stolen boats and other marine vessels. Such incidents have involved vessels moored in water, as well as cases where boats have been stolen while on a trailer.
Police are taking this opportunity to remind boat owners to properly secure their vessels, whether they are kept in the water or stored on land on trailers:
1. It is best to store the vessel in a well-lit area, ideally somewhere with cameras nearby or security on site. This applies both for vessels stored on land on trailers, and those moored in the water.
2. If possible, secure the trailer for your vessel with a wheel boot and/or coupler lock, so it cannot be easily moved.
3. It may also be a good idea to consider installing an alarm or other anti-theft system.
4. Make regular checks and do not leave your vessel unattended for extended periods of time (longer than a day or so), whether on the water or on land.
5. Always remove the key from ignition when leaving the vessel unattended, and do not store the key on the vessel itself.
6. Remove all valuables from the vessel when leaving it unattended.
7. Keep a list of all the equipment you have mounted in and on your boat, as well as serial numbers.
8. Use high-quality locks on all hatches, storage compartments, and doors to prevent unauthorized entry.
9. Use a boat cover to keep the vessel and its contents out of sight from potential thieves.
10. Consider investing in a GPS tracking system for the boat, which can help locate the vessel if it is stolen.
11. If possible, remove the propeller from the boat when it is not in use, as this makes it more difficult to steal.
12. Be mindful of who has access to your keys and who you allow to operate your vessel.
Following these tips will make it less likely for you to become a victim of the theft of a vessel, or items from your vessel. However, if you are the victim of such a theft, contact 9-1-1 or your local police station immediately.
24 Sep, 2019
25 Feb, 2020
28 Jun, 2019
18 Nov, 2019
We appreciate your feedback. You can comment here with your pseudonym or real name. You can leave a comment with or without entering an email address. All comments will be reviewed before they are published.