85 F Clouds
Saturday, May 28 2022, 09:04 AM
Close Ad
Back To Listing

CBC provides more details on Cuban Migrants

Local News 16 Apr, 2021 Follow News

CBC provides more details on Cuban Migrants

More details have emerged following the peaceful end to the standoff between a group of Cuban refugees and Customs and Border Control (CBC) aboard the bulk carrier MV Bulk Freedom.

Now that the 12 Cubans including an infant were removed from the ship, which jas since left Cayman’s waters, the CBC has been outlining further details of the events.

The agency says that after approximately four days of monitoring and intense negotiations the situation with the migrants onboard the MV Bulk Freedom ended with a combination of legal backing and a ‘tactical intervention’.

“The operation concluded without any serious injury to any of the migrants or the ship’s crew. It is also worthy to communicate that there were no reports of damage to property.” CBC has confirmed.

In previously undisclosed information, CBC now reports that “in consideration of the risk to the health and well-being of a migrant infant on board the vessel authorities obtained a court-issued emergency protection order and warrant under the Children Act on the evening of 8th April.”

It says the court order authorized the immediate removal of the infant child from the MV Bulk Freedom to a place of safety.

According to CBC, “Following a brief tactical intervention, the infant was removed from the ship and immediately upon arrival at the George Town Seaport, the infant was taken to and treated at the George Town Hospital and is currently in the care of the Department of Children and Family Services (DCFS).”

The details of the ‘tactical intervention’ have not been released, but CBC reports that in the process of enforcing the court issued authority the infants’ father was obstructive and sustained minor head injuries. He was subsequently arrested, removed from the vessel and taken to GTH for medical treatment.

Shortly afterwards he was released from GTH and taken to the RCIPS Detention Centre where he was held overnight. It is expected that he will be released later today and transferred to an approved quarantine facility, the agency’s statement said.

CBC has also reported that the remaining migrants’ voluntarily left the vessel and have been placed in quarantine at a government-mandated facility and processed in accordance with the COVID-19 safety protocols.

It also explains that “while this situation may become a factor in the processing of the other migrants’ asylum applications, any claims that their applications have already been denied is incorrect.

CBC points out that along with partner agencies, RCIPS and CIGC maintained close contact with the captain of the MV Bulk Freedom and thanked him and his crew for their support in bringing this situation to a positive closure.

“Likewise, the welfare and safety of the crew were kept in mind at all times. CBC also established and maintained communication with the vessel’s management team,” the agency added.


Comments (0)

We appreciate your feedback. You can comment here with your pseudonym or real name. You can leave a comment with or without entering an email address. All comments will be reviewed before they are published.

* Denotes Required Inputs