• Testing Materials: We are in a much better position on testing materials than we were a week ago. A lot of work has taken place. We are now confident we have sufficient swabs and extraction kits here on Island or coming soon to enable our step up on testing. My thanks to Dawn Cummings at the HSA and to Matthew Forbes in my office for their outstanding work on this. My office has focused on swabs and extraction kits and Dawn on PPE. The UK diplomatic network has been a great support - our mission in Guangzhou in China has helped us procure the latest order.
• New online form for the emergency travel helpline: We are pleased to announce a new online form for the emergency travel helpline. You can now upload your details directly to www.exploregov.ky/travel and the data will be used to gauge demand for further flights. You do not need to re-register on the online tool. If you have already called or sent emails, your details are on the system.
• Work permit amnesty and the travel helpline: There has been some confusion around the work permit amnesty and the travel helpline following news reports. Please only contact the travel helpline to register your interest in leaving the Islands. They cannot answer specific questions on work permit extensions etc, these should continue to be sent to WORC. The amnesty will allow you to look at your options for leaving the island while this situation continues.
• Shout out to AG and SG and the legal drafting team: The AG is my legal adviser and I get excellent support. The team have continued to provide high quality legal advice while continuing with court cases. Thanks for all their help during the Covid 19 crisis.
• Honduras Flight: There will be a flight to La Ceiba early next week. Details of how to book and cost per passenger will be announced shortly. Please do not call the emergency travel helpline. Caymanians and PR status holders looking to get back from Honduras will be required to go into a Government Isolation facility for 14 days, no exceptions. Passengers going to Honduras have to ensure they have a medical certificate saying they are free from COVID-19 symptoms. The Honduran Government have advised that many of the islands are closed off and you may have to remain in La Ceiba until further notice.
• Flight to Mexico: The flight to Cancun, Mexico with Cayman Airways has been changed to Friday 1st May. Passengers on this flight are those from a preapproved list from the Mexican Government and will be contacted directly by Cayman Airways over the course of today and tomorrow. This is an outbound flight only. We will not bringing anyone back on this flight.
• Private charter to/from Canada: A Canadian citizen, Nikole Poirier, is working on a private charter to Toronto for end of May which will allow pets and additional baggage allowance. The cost will be approximately 1300 Canadian $ (circa 750CI$). If you are interested please contact Nikole directly. Caymanians or PR status holders looking to get back from Canada send an email to email@example.com if you haven’t registered already. For social media Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Phone: 517-0628
• Costa Rica and Dominican Republic flights: Flights are being finalised and are likely to leave next week. More details of cost and how to book to be announced later this week.
• Thanks to the Honorary Consuls on island, Cayman Airways and Airport Authority: They have been working very closely with us on these flights, for all their help. Thanks to Fabian Whorms and staff at Cayman Airways and to Albert Anderson and staff at the Airport Authority for everything they are doing. Maria, Simone, Gill and Lisa in my office have also worked incredibly hard on this. We recognise that people want to leave the Islands and we’re doing everything we can to assist that. Commercial flights are likely to remain closed for foreseeable future (subject to Cabinet decision) so if you want to leave do take advantage of these evacuation flights now.
27 Jan, 2020
15 Sep, 2021
15 Sep, 2021
15 Sep, 2021