The Family Resource Centre (FRC) is currently hosting a diverse programme of events and activities to celebrate Honouring Women Month (HWM).
This year’s theme is #EachforEqual, as an equal world is an enabled world.
“2020’s theme emphasises that our individual actions, conversations and behaviours CAN bring about change, and challenges each of us to do what we can to make a positive difference for women in our community,” said FRC Programmes Coordinator Charmaine Miller.
“Through our collective efforts, we can help to create a gender equal society that research has proven will be healthier, wealthier and more harmonious,” she added.
HWM began with the campaign’s church service at the Agape Family Worship Centre on Sunday, 1. The remaining HWM calendar is as follows:
• Friday, 6 – HWM Dress for a Cause Photo Opportunity, Government Administration Building front steps, 9.10 a.m. assembly for 9.15 a.m. shoot
• Sunday, 8 – HWM International Women’s Day Brunch with US Keynote Speaker and entertainment, Kimpton Seafire Resort, 11a.m. – 2 p.m. – Tickets $125 pp/table for 10 available, email IWD@gov.ky
• Sunday, 15 – Colour Me Purple 5K Run/Walk, SafeHaven, 6.30 a.m. Register at www.caymanactive.com/registrations/purple
• Wednesday, 25 – Empowering Women Through Employability (hosted in partnership with the Ministry of Community Affairs’ Gender Affairs Unit), Family Resource Centre, Apollo House West, 87 Mary Street, 5.30 p.m.
• Tuesday, 31 - HWM Closing Reception, Government House, 6.30 p.m. (invitation only).
“Planned and coordinated by the Family Resource Centre in the Department of Counselling Services, the Honouring Women Month events are being assisted by the generous support of the Ministry of Health, Environment, Culture and Housing in partnership with the Ministry of Community Affairs’ Gender Affairs Unit, and private stakeholders,” noted the Department’s Director Judith Seymour.
“While we focus on promoting gender equality during our March celebrations, the Department works throughout the year to provide services and programmes to empower women and strengthen families in our community. The engagement of our partners and the participation by the broader community in the various HWM events will provide much-needed support to sustain these efforts that make a tangible difference in women’s lives,” she added.
Minister for Health, Environment, Culture and Housing, Hon. Dwayne Seymour, who gave remarks at the observance’s church service on Sunday said: “Honouring Women Month presents our community with a wonderful opportunity to redouble its efforts to not just talk about achieving gender balance but to act to further that goal. Government as the largest employer in the Cayman Islands is committed to advancing women’s right.
“We’d like to invite everyone to take part in one or more of the HWM events, as equality for everyone will lead to a level playing field for all,” he concluded.
For further details, visit the FRC’s Facebook page, the Department of Counselling Services’ website dcs.gov.ky or call 949-0006 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
24 Sep, 2019
25 Feb, 2020
28 Jun, 2019
18 Nov, 2019
We appreciate your feedback. You can comment here with your pseudonym or real name. You can leave a comment with or without entering an email address. All comments will be reviewed before they are published.