The Deputy Governor, Franz Manderson attended the Cayman Islands Red Cross (CIRC) appreciation ceremony on Thursday, 25 February to personally thank volunteers for their hard work and dedication in 2020.
The Deputy Governor who chairs the National Emergency Operations Centre in which CIRC plays a critical role thanked the team for their support throughout 2020 at the event. Expanding on his remarks Mr Manderson: “The Red Cross is an integral part of our response to any crisis because of the closeness of its ties with the community. We could not mount an effective response without them.”
Ninety-one CIRC volunteers and 134 COVID-19 national volunteers were recognised for their contribution across a number of emergency responses in the Cayman Islands.
Jondo Obi, Director of the CIRC, stated “The year 2020 was unprecedented, the CIRC assisted the National Emergency Operations Centre in a number of crisis responses. These ranged from the 7.7 magnitude earthquake in January, landfill fire in February and COVID-19 related activities from March onwards. This is on top of the day to day projects the volunteers complete for the thrift shop and event first aid coverage.”
The category of awards demonstrated the breath of community work completed by the organisation and included the following.
• Child Protection Programme which recognised the children for their voices in the COVID-19 hygiene handwashing video.
• Mobile Health & Wellness Community Project (in partnership with the Health Services Authority and private mental health practitioners).
• Shelter managers in recognition of the four times CIRC shelters were opened last year in response to the earthquake, landfill fire, Hurricane Eta and Tropical Storm Iota.
• Supporting government-managed quarantine centres for returning travelers.
• Administrative and logistical support for the Health Services Authority (HSA) COVID-19 testing centres.
• Collecting laptops for children to compete online schooling.
• Thrift Shop Programme.
• First aid coverage at events and first aid instructors.
• CIRC admin support including finance and the 60th Anniversary Committee.
Joining the Deputy Governor in speaking at the event was the Chairman of the CIRC Board, Doug Moffatt, board member of Hedge Funds Care Cayman, Julie Hughes, Chief Executive Officer of HSA, Dr Lizzette Yearwood, Dr Vinton Douglas, R3 board member, Woody Foster and the heads of human resources for FCIB, Sherrill Beckford and Shadden McLaughlin.
27 Jan, 2020
15 Sep, 2021
15 Sep, 2021
15 Sep, 2021