Following what has been described by Government as the excellent public response to the three-day total lockdown last week, the territory is now into the “Stay Home Cayman” phase.
A three-day 24 hour curfew, part of efforts to combat the spread of the COVID-19 pandemic locally, was lifted at 5am on Saturday.
It’s been replaced by a combination of a hard nighttime curfew from 7pm to 5am, and a soft daytime 'Shelter-In-Place/Stay-At-Home' regime between 5am and 7pm.
During that period only government-designated essential services are allowed to open. The public is advised to observe the social-distancing advice or otherwise stay indoors.
“We are trying to save the country from a massive threat. We are in the emergency stage. We are just trying to get through the next couple of weeks,” Hon. Premier Alden McLaughlin stated.
He said he was very pleased with the public response to the measures so far.
Requesting that everyone including businesses continue to comply with the measures, the Premier said: "Government does not want to be forced to enforce another hard shutdown."
Mr McLaughlin again implored: “Stay home Cayman, unless you have very good reason to go out in keeping with the regulations.”
Chief Medical Officer Dr John Lee reported that up to Friday the number of confirmed cases remained at eight - plus a ninth sample tested as positive but for which confirmation was still being awaited.