CONCERN AS CAYMAN BRAC RECORDS ITS FIRST COVID-19 CASE
Six more positive cases of COVID-19 were confirmed in the Cayman Islands on Saturday taking the total to 35, with the first case reported on Cayman Brac.
That case like most of the other recently confirmed cases on Grand Cayman resulted from contact with an infected person who had previously travelled.
The patient is said to have shown symptoms of the virus.
Hon. Premier Alden McClaughlin said there has been much unease in Government about the risk to Cayman Brac.
He said the government found today's report "very alarming" especially with Cayman Brac now reporting its first case.
The Premier said there has been a particular worry about the vulnerability of that community given the average age of the residents, many of whom are retired.
The population of the Brac is around 2,000.
Appealing for the protocols to be adhered to, especially in the Brac - as with elsewhere in the territory - Mr McLaughlin said: “If it gets loose on Brac, I’m afraid that we may have lots of funerals.”
“Please respect the measures, it’s for the good of the entire community.”
The Hon. Minister of Health Dwayne Seymour cautioned against anyone trying to determine the identity of the infected person in the Brac.
On Grand Cayman, four of the five other cases were also linked to persons who had recently travelled or had themselves travelled.
One case had no travel history.
In all, 46 results were given on Saturday.
The trend suggesting more community transmissions is a matter of growing concern to Chief Medical Officer Dr John Lee, who reminded of the importance of staying at home to reduce the risk of public contact and spreading the virus.
The hard curfew Sunday lockdown is back in force from 7pm Saturday through to 5am on Monday 6th April. It will be active for the next two Sundays.
The soft daytime curfew returns from Monday 6th April from 5am to 7pm daily.
The alternating day and nighttime curfew, including the all-day lockdown on Sunday has been extended for another two weeks.
Police Commissioner Derek Byrne said the reason for the Sunday hard curfew was driven by the consideration that supermarkets and pharmacies are closed on Sunday “and there would be no reason for people to be out on those days in particular.”
Regarding the Sunday hard curfew, some restaurants have been granted exemptions for food deliveries between midday and 9pm.
However, their drivers are advised to have valid IDs and proof of exemption as police will be out on patrol and carrying out interceptions with severe penalties for breaches.
The fine for violating the curfew regulations is $KY3,000, one year’s imprisonment or both.
With the Easter weekend coming next week, both the Commissioner Byrne and Premier McClaughlin said adjustments will be made to the regulations as required in exceptional circumstances.
However, there was no intention to relax the general restrictions, especially the Sunday hard curfew.
24 Sep, 2019
25 Feb, 2020
28 Jun, 2019
18 Nov, 2019
We appreciate your feedback. You can comment here with your pseudonym or real name. You can leave a comment with or without entering an email address. All comments will be reviewed before they are published.