80 F Clouds
Tuesday, Dec 01 2020, 09:14 AM
Close Ad
Back To Listing

CRUISE SHIP BARRED OVER HEALTH CONCERNS

Local News 26 Feb, 2020 Follow News

CRUISE SHIP BARRED OVER HEALTH CONCERNS

The Cayman Islands government this week barred a mega cruise ship from entering the territory over health concerns.

Permission was denied to the Swiss-registered MSC Meraviglia with a passenger capacity of 4,500.

The ship was en route from Jamaica with George Town as its next port of call.

Minister for Health Hon. Dwayne Seymour said “In an abundance of caution, in order to provide protection to the health and safety of the residents of the Cayman Islands, the Government has denied permission for the cruise ship to call on Grand Cayman as previously scheduled.”

The Ministry of Health and the Public Health Department report that they reviewed the medical details of the person who has been isolated, and the details of one other member of the ship’s complement who was also said to be unwell.

Both appear to be in a stable condition, according to the government statement.

The Jamaica Ministry of Health & Wellness had reported that a crew member was placed in isolation, suffering from flu-like symptoms similar to those associated with the coronavirus.

This is the latest development involving a cruise ship being denied port entry due to mounting global concerns about the spread of the new coronavirus, COVID-19.

Similar developments have been reported elsewhere in the Caribbean and at other cruise destinations around the world.

MSC Meraviglia which is based in Geneva, Switzerland is owned and operated by MSC Cruises.

The ship’s next ports of call after being barred from Jamaica and the Cayman Islands, were Cozumel, Mexico and The Bahamas.


Comments (0)

We appreciate your feedback. You can comment here with your pseudonym or real name. You can leave a comment with or without entering an email address. All comments will be reviewed before they are published.

* Denotes Required Inputs