The Department of Counselling Services (DCS) has made operational changes in response to the confirmation of the COVID-19 in Cayman.
The following amendments to service reflect the department’s priority to maintain the health and well-being of clients, minimise risk of exposure to staff and help prevent the spread of the virus:
• Admissions to Caribbean Haven Residential Centre (CHRC) are suspended with immediate effect. Presently there are 20 clients in residence across the male and female treatment programmes.
• Intake services for The Counselling Centre (TCC) and the Family Resource Centre (FRC) will no longer be offered on a walk-in basis. These services will now be available by appointment only between 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. DSC appreciates that COVID-19 related anxiety in the community requires the availability of its services in some form, so clients can contact TCC (949-8789) or FRC (949-0006).
• Group programmes at TCC and FRC have been suspended until further notice.
• Residents of Cayman Brac will also be offered services over the telephone, as travel to the Brac has been suspended until further notice.
• TCC and FRC staff are working reduced hours in office, on a rotational basis, to minimise the number of persons in office at any given time.
• DCS will periodically be sharing important information on its website www.dcs.ky and encourages clients and their families to visit the site to help them cope with the challenges they may be experiencing.
The Department fully appreciates that the services it provides are critical in a time like this, when stress levels and anxiety are heightened and some persons are more vulnerable. Therefore it has tried to design an approach that minimises risk and ensures safety while still catering to the mental health needs of clients. As the situation progresses, it will continue to rely on the Public Health authorities to determine further changes to its operations, which will be communicated in a timely manner.
These changes to service provision will remain in effect until 30 April 2020.
24 Sep, 2019
25 Feb, 2020
28 Jun, 2019
18 Nov, 2019
We appreciate your feedback. You can comment here with your pseudonym or real name. You can leave a comment with or without entering an email address. All comments will be reviewed before they are published.