• Stay positive: Despite tougher measures, please try and remain positive and retain hope. We are in the fortunate position of being able to watch from afar countries who are ahead of us – we can learn from them as they gradually re-open their economies.
• Thanks to frontline workers: My heartfelt thanks to everyone who continues to work on the front line – health professionals – RCIPS, CBC and Special Constables amongst them.
• Beach closure: I appreciate that many people will be disappointed about the closure of the beaches, but it is clear that we have no choice but to implement this measure to help suppress the spread of the virus. It is tough for those who want to exercise there, but I have received plenty of messages from people who understand why we’ve had to close them to the public.
• Message on the mugs: Thanks To Jay at the Cayman Islands Tourism Association for the mugs you saw in the press conference. They have a clear message “Stay Home and Stay Safe”.
• George Town Complex: The news about the George Town apartment complex will understandably be concerning, but please be assured that we have thrown a lot of resource towards managing the risk to isolate the people there, supervising the complex very carefully and testing everyone. We believe we have caught it early.
• Evacuation flights: A lot of work continues behind the scenes on the evacuation flights and we’ve made good progress. We’ll soon be announcing details on potential flights to Miami, Canada and Nicaragua. We’re also working on a Jamaica flight which is a bit more challenging. Unfortunately, airports in India will be closed for at least three weeks which means we’ll be unable to look at immediate flights there. However, we will monitor and keep that route under review. Work also continues on the next British Airways air-bridge to the UK. I am aware that people have raised the issue of transporting pets on that flight and this is being looked at.
• National Recovery Fund: I have been asked how the community can donate to the National Recovery Fund. Please hold fire for now while discussions continue within the private sector and civil society and more details will be announced as soon as possible.
• Home fitness: For those who want to try some fitness from home you might want to check out Joe Wicks on You Tube. He has gone viral in the UK with his ‘PE with Joe’ You Tube videos – https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAxW1XT0iEJo0TYlRfn6rYQ. Something for all the family!
18 Jun, 2020
28 Mar, 2020
11 Apr, 2020
17 Jul, 2020