The British royal couple Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are so frustrated by negative media coverage that they are suing a UK newspaper who published a private letter between her and her father, Thomas.
The Duchess of Sussex has begun legal action against the Mail on Sunday over a claim that it unlawfully published one of her private letters. She is a mixed-race American and the couple feel that racism is the main reason behind what they perceive as a negative campaign against them.
In a statement, the Duke of Sussex said he and Meghan were forced to take action against "relentless propaganda".
Prince Harry said: "I lost my mother (Princess Diana) and now I watch my wife falling victim to the same powerful forces."
A Mail on Sunday spokesman said the paper stood by the story it published and would defend the case "vigorously".
Law firm Schillings, acting for the duchess, accused the paper of a campaign of false, derogatory stories.
"I've seen what happens when someone I love is commoditised to the point that they are no longer treated or seen as a real person," Harry said.
It is not the first time the royals have taken legal action against the press. In 2017, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge were awarded $93,000 in damages after French magazine Closer printed topless pictures of the duchess in 2012. A French court ruled the images had been an invasion of the couple's privacy.
18 Jun, 2020
28 Mar, 2020
11 Apr, 2020
17 Jul, 2020