82 F Clouds
Sunday, Oct 25 2020, 04:43 PM
Close Ad
Back To Listing

No one accepts blame for UK’s deadliest fire

International 29 Jan, 2020 Follow News

Grenfell Tower saw 72 killed in a huge fire

The Grenfell Tower fire disaster in 2017 killed 72 mostly black and Muslim people in the UK yet none of the companies involved in the refurbishment of the block of apartments has accepted responsibility.

Richard Millett QC, the inquiry's chief lawyer, said each claimed what happened was "someone else's fault". Experts have previously said the work failed to meet building regulations.

The second phase of the investigation into the disaster at the London high-rise block started last week.

It is going to look at how the building came to be covered in flammable cladding during its refurbishment.

Millett said that, with the "sole exception" of the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea - which accepted that the refurbishment work should not have been signed off - all organisations had denied responsibility in "carefully crafted statements".

The tower, built in 1974, was extensively refurbished between 2012 and 2016. Perception is that the deadly cladding was only put there for cosmetic reasons to appease rich residents opposite.


Comments (0)

We appreciate your feedback. You can comment here with your pseudonym or real name. You can leave a comment with or without entering an email address. All comments will be reviewed before they are published.

* Denotes Required Inputs