The Cayman Islands Aquatics Sports Association (CIASA) held its AGM on Tuesday, 8 November at Elmslie Church Hall.
“Aquatic sports in the Cayman Islands are growing in leaps and bounds,” commented newly re-elected President Steve Broadbelt. “I look forward to working with the new board and moving projects, opportunities and new ideas forward. Our biggest goal continues to be the 50m pool project - and we hope we are in a place where we can break ground on this in the coming year.”
President Steve Broadbelt and Technical Director Coach Jacky Pellerin provided the membership with their reports, provided the treasurer’s and committee reports, and shared some plans for 2023 - including the 50m pool and a number of events and changes which the new committee will review and move forward when it meets.
Key updates included:
1. CIASA has submitted bids to host:
• Canadian open water trials
• FINA Open Water event
• Youth World Open Water Championships.
2. FINA points will be used for ranking swimmers for potential selection to national and senior teams but do not replace selection criteria which will still be specific to each meet.
3. The swim calendar, meet qualification criteria, team rosters and updated records will be posted on CIASA.KY after the new board meets.
4. The updated 50m aquatic center.
5. The growth of artistic swimming has been incredible, due largely to the work of Coach Alyssa. A new representative team committee (RTC) for artistic swimming has been created – recognising that artistic and pool swimming require different knowledge bases.
6. The national team rosters for swimming, open water, artistic swimming will be published at the end of this year, noting that being named to the national team does not automatically confirm swimmers to specific event teams as the qualifications for individual meets must still be met.
The last matter of business was the election of officers with the following being elected:
President - Steve Broadbelt
V President - Kathy Jackson
Treasurer - Martin Trott
Secretary - Chilian Ellison
Director - Sarah Sellars
Director - Martin Faye
Director - Colleen Williams
Director - Dean Lynne
Director - Adam Butler