Which of these conservation-minded individuals will earn your vote?
The Cayman Islands has many individuals who are passionate about protecting and preserving our marine environment, and the Central Caribbean Marine Institute (CCMI) will again recognise exceptional contributors to local marine conservation efforts at the annual Festival of Seas Gala in November with the coveted People’s Choice Award. The nominees for the award have been identified, and CCMI is now asking members of the public to vote on their choice for the People’s Choice Award.
The nominees in the Individual People’s Choice Award category are:
• Linda Clark – work with Cruise Port Referendum, both behind the scenes and gathering signatures
• Bonnie Edwards – work as a volunteer for Cayman Brac turtle patrol
• Bill LaMonte – work with Plastic Free Cayman and mentor to Protect Our Future student organisation
• Michael Ridley – Project Turtle Beach to have security cameras on an extremely active nesting sea turtle beach
• Everett M. Turner Jr, Essi Evans and Cynthia Abgarian – publishing four books on Cayman’s natural environment and unique biodiversity
In the Company/Organisation People’s Choice Award category, nominees are:
• Pirates Week Festival – moving away from single use plastics at Pirates Week events
• Protect Our Future Cayman – student environmental advocacy efforts
• STOAK’D Cayman – using plastic debris in art to raise awareness about conservation issues
The People’s Choice Award is a full ‘audience participation’ effort, nominated and voted on by members of the public. This year, two People’s Choice Awards will be announced: an Individual and Company/Organisation that has contributed in a significant way to protecting and/or restoring coral reefs in the Cayman Islands. Whether through a project, programme or event, all nominees have demonstrated leadership and commitment to bringing about a transformative impact on the ocean habitats, especially coral reefs, in the Cayman Islands. By featuring members of the community and their efforts on behalf of the environment, CCMI not only wants to recognise those who have made significant positive impact on the marine environment, but also to inspire others to get involved in conservation initiatives.
Full details of each nomination can be found on the CCMI website at www.reefresearch.org/peopleschoice2019 voting will be open from 16th September at 8am – 29th September 5pm. There is a limit of one vote per person in each category. The winners of the People’s Choice Award and the Healthy Reefs Challenge will be announced at the annual Festival of Seas Awards and Gala event on 16th November 2019, at Grand Old House. For more information about the Festival of Seas Gala: Coral Carnival, to purchase tickets and to read more about the nominees for the People’s Choice Award, visit www.reefresearch.org.
18 Jun, 2020
28 Mar, 2020
11 Apr, 2020
17 Jul, 2020