84 F Clouds
Wednesday, Apr 17 2024, 09:30 AM
Close Ad
Back To Listing

NRA Releases Traffic Diversion Plan for the Next Phase of the Central Business District Enhancement Project

Community 22 Jan, 2024 Follow News

The Central Business District Enhancement Project Phase Two includes the redevelopment of the intersection in front of the George Town Post Office to create more public space and better connectivity in the area.

The Traffic Diversion Plan has been broken down into phases and mimics the schedule of works being undertaken by CUC and Robson Construction.

Today the Ministry of Planning, Agriculture, Housing, Infrastructure, Transport & Development and the National Roads Authority (“NRA”) released the Traffic Diversion Plan for the next stage of the George Town Revitalisation Initiative’s Central Business District Enhancement Project (“CBEP”) Phase Two, which is scheduled to commence on Tuesday, January 23, 2024 and take about six months. 

The first of several planned traffic diversions will come into effect from Tuesday, January 23 at 11 a.m. Motorists should exercise caution when traveling along Edward Street, Main Street, Cardinall Avenue and Dr. Roy’s Drive. The full schedule of diversions for the coming months is available for download on the George Town Revitalisaion Initiative website (www.georgetownrevitalisation.com).

This next phase includes upgrades to underground infrastructure on Edward Street, Main Street, Fort Street and Shedden Road, to be carried out by Caribbean Utilities Company (“CUC”), and the start of overground enhancements to Edward Street, Main Street and the George Town Post Office intersection, led by the CBEP contractor, Robson Construction.

The schedule of works has been made in consultation with the project’s key stakeholders, including the Royal Cayman Islands Police Service, the Cayman Islands Fire Service, the Cayman Islands Health Services Authority, the Public Transport Unit and the Department of Public Safety Communications, and has been broken down into sub-phases, to help facilitate a smooth roll-out and the least disruption to local businesses, residents and the public at each stage.

“Each stage has been meticulously reviewed by the NRA’s team of engineers, who have studied the flow of traffic around town and trialed each diversion route,” says Mr. Dennis Harris, Senior Manager - Project Management of the Public Works Department, providing project management of the CBEP. “The Traffic Diversion Plan mimics the schedule of works and incorporates coning rather than fencing so that the teams can move through each work area swiftly and with little disruption.”

The first stage of the CBEP Phase Two was completed last year and, once this phase is complete, will connect CBEP Phase One, which saw the pedestrianisation of Cardinall Avenue, and CBEP Phase Three, which is slated to include further underground and overground enhancements to Main Street.

“After weeks of operational planning and finalising orders for materials, we are excited to remobilise next week,” says George Town Manager and Revitalisation Initiative Coordinator, Colin Lumsden. “CBEP is big in scale and big in impact for the revitalisation of our capital and we would like to thank the George Town community for their continuous support of this project.”

Please refer to the full NRA Traffic Diversion Plan at www.georgetownrevitalisation.com/nra-releases-traffic-diversion-plan for more information and follow the George Town Revitalisation Initiative on Facebook (facebook.com/GTRevitalisation) and Instagram (instagram.com/gtrevitalisation/) and the NRA on Facebook (facebook.com/nraroads) and Instagram (instagram.com/national_roads_authority/) for further project updates and advisories.


Comments (0)

We appreciate your feedback. You can comment here with your pseudonym or real name. You can leave a comment with or without entering an email address. All comments will be reviewed before they are published.

* Denotes Required Inputs