The registration for students enrolling in, or transferring within Government schools for the 2021/2022school year will open on Thursday 8th April 2021 and will close on Wednesday, 30 June 2021.
Registration for Government Reception is open for qualifying children aged 4 years 0 months before 1 September 2021. That means a child born between 1 September 2016 and 31 August 2017 is eligible for reception, and that he/she must have already turned 4 prior to 1 September 2021.
Registration for Year 1 in Government schools is open for qualifying children aged 5 years 0 months before 1 September 2021 in all primary schools. That means a child born between 1 September 2015 and 31 August 2016 is eligible for Year 1, and that he/she must have already turned 5 prior to 1 September 2021.
Registration for older students transferring internally, re-entering or entering for the first time into the Government school system, should be completed by the 30 June 2021 deadline in order for the child to be eligible to attend school at the start of the school year.
School registration only takes place online. The online registration form will be available by Thursday 8th April 2021, and will be found on the Department of Education Services (DES) registration web page - https://schools.edu.ky/Pages/School-Registration.aspx.
Only applications received through the online form will be accepted. Additionally, children registering after Wednesday, 30 June 2021, cannot be guaranteed a space at their zoned catchment school. If you need additional help please feel free to contact the Registration Unit at 945-1199 or email@example.com.
Please refer to the attached guidance notes; visit the DES website at https://schools.edu.ky/Pages/School-Registration.aspx or email firstname.lastname@example.org for additional information on school registration.
When completing the online application form please have the respective documents electronically available for uploading to the application:
Parents of All first-time students entering government schools must submit the following documentation along with a properly completed registration form:
• The child’s birth certificate
• The child’s immunization card (In the case of non-compliance with immunization due to health or religious reasons, the parent must complete a DES immunization exempt form.
• Documentation of child’s immigration residency category (Non-Caymanian students i.e., passport, government contract showing children as dependents, residence certificate, RS 101 form.
• Mandatory Residency Verification
Proof of address must be demonstrated by any two (2) of the following documents listed, One from Group A and One from Group B (See proofs below or published “Guidelines for school registration, transfers & Homeschool” located on our website at: https://schools.edu.ky/Pages/School-Registration.aspx
Residence is determined by a person’s physical presence as a resident within the designated geographic boundary of the school catchment with the intent to remain. The address/residence of a student for school purposes depends upon a factual determination of the care, custody and control of the student.
Proof in the form of a utility bill (CUC or Water), Driver’s License or Voter ID or notarized lease in the parent’s name indicating the students legal address or a notarized/JP “Parent Affidavit Form” accompanied by a utility bill, (CUC, Water) in the landlord’s name, indicating the parent’s legal address if renting or if more than one family share a living space and there is only one owner/lease holder.
Educational Psychologist Report
The last school year report including latest psychological reports for any student previously assessed as requiring special education needs (SEN) (if the child is being admitted from another school including private schools local and overseas). In the case of admission to John Gray High School, Clifton Hunter High or Layman Scott High School, a transcript including latest psychological reports for any students previously assessed as requiring special education needs (SEN) from the last High School attended should be included.
School Medical Examinations with the Public Health Nurse will be arranged according to public health revised guidelines which will be communicated to parents and their child’s assigned school. Parents can also arrange for an examination from a private doctor (See approved list of HSA private doctors available on our website). The medical examinations must be completed for all children entering school for the first time. Once the form has been completed, it must be returned to the Department of Education Services with the accompanying documents via the online website, by scanned email. Persons having difficulty with the online process should send their concerns to email@example.com.
The Department of Education Services Registration staff will review the documentation and determine the designated catchment area for the school assignment. Following review/approval by the Senior School Improvement Officer, the assigned school secretary will make an appointment (once protocols have been finalized) with the public health nurse, for medical screening for children who have not completed medicals privately.
Transferring Students: Students transferring internally from one government school to another government school must provide the required supporting documentation.
Students who wish to move from a private school to a Government school would need to complete a student registration form.
Within catchment request:
• Proof of Residency
• Mandatory residency verification and proof (See explanation above)
Out of catchment request:
• Mandatory clear letter of justification to be reviewed at the end of the registration period. These requests require approvals by the Director of Education Services/Registration committee permitting there are available space/services in the year group and school being requested.
Returning Students: Students previously enrolled in a government school requesting readmission, shall provide the following:
• Mandatory residency verification and proof (See explanation above)
• The last school year report from current school (Primary/Secondary)
• Complete Transcript from current High School (Secondary schools)
Remember to enroll as soon as possible to ensure that your qualifying child has a place at your local school in August. CHILDREN REGISTERING AFTER 30 JUNE 2021, CANNOT BE GUARANTEED SPACE at their zoned catchment school. Parents will receive notification from the school of their child’s placement for August.
Entry to Government Schools
Priority for admission to Government schools is assigned as follows:
Reception Program: 4 years before 1 September.
1. Caymanians, with proof established by birth certificate, Cayman status stamped passport or status letter/certificate
2. Children born to a non-Caymanian parent out of wedlock with proof established by birth to a Caymanian. Caymanian parent shall provide DES proof via form RS101 (available on our website). Caymanian parent must be residing on island at the time of registration.
Primary – Secondary: 5 years before 1 September and children older.
1. Caymanians, with proof established by birth certificate, passport or status certificate
2. Dependents of Caymanians
3. Dependents of contracted government employees (Space permitting following the close of registration)
4. Dependents of permanent residents (Space permitting following the close of registration)
5. Other – Children approved by WORC for entry to government schools (Space permitting following the close of registration)
Class sizes are capped for Reception and Year 1 at 24 students and 28 for all other year groups. Where maximum class sizes are exceeded within the school, spaces will be offered for qualifying students at the nearest school with available space. Spaces for categories 3 through 5 and all out of catchment request will be reviewed following the closure of registration.
Payment of Fees
All non-Caymanian students under approved categories must pay school fees at the following rates:
Year 1-6 CI$250.00 per term or CI$750.00 per year
Year 7-9 CI$300.00 per term or CI$900.00 per year
Year 10-12 CI$400.00 per term or CI$1,200.00 per year
Payment sites are as follows:
• Cayman Brac/ Little Cayman residents: Cayman Brac Teachers Centre, Cayman Brac
• Grand Cayman residents: First Floor, Government Administration Building, Treasury Counter.
Zoned catchment area for government primary schools
• WEST BAY PRIMARY - North of Government House to Spanish Bay Reef to include all of West Bay.
• GEORGE TOWN PRIMARY - South of Government House to Memorial Avenue, North along Walkers Road to Maple Road and East along Smith Road to Crewe Road airport junction. North on Airport Road, through the new Junction in Industrial Park to include all areas North and East past the airport to North Sound
• RED BAY PRIMARY - Area on south side of memorial Avenue, along Walkers Road to Maple Road and South side of Smith Road, both sides of Crewe Road bordered by Owen Robert Drive to the North and South Sound to the South Sound Boarder on the east side of Victory Avenue.
• PROSPECT PRIMARY - All areas from Prospect Drive eastward to west side of Spotts-Newlands Road and west side of Chime Street on the BP/East/West Arterial (to include all of Prospect Park, Patrick’s Island, Ocean Club, Mariners Cove, Cascades Drive.
• JOANNA CLARK PRIMARY - The East side of Spotts-Newlands Road to Beach Bay (Previously Savannah Primary) - Road in Pedro including greater Pedro area.
• THEOLINE MCCOY PRIMARY - East of Beach Bay Road up to Breakers including Northward.
• EDNA MOYLE PRIMARY - All of Frank Sound to Old Man Bay west to Cayman Kai
• EAST END PRIMARY - East of the Frank Sound junction to include all of East End to Colliers.
CAYMAN BRAC/LITTLE CAYMAN
WEST END PRIMARY - Western end of Cayman Brac to Faith Hospital on north side of the island and correspondingly across the island to the south coast
CREEK INFANT/SPOT BAY
JUNIOR SCHOOL - All areas east of Faith Hospital to the Eastern end of Cayman Brac
EDUCATION SERVICE - All areas of Little Cayman
Zoned Catchment Area for government Secondary Schools
• JOHN GRAY HIGH SCHOOL - All areas West Side of Spotts-Newlands Road & west side of Chime Street By- Pass East/West Arterial
• CLINTON HUNTER HIGH SCHOOL - All areas East Side of Spotts-Newlands Road & East side of Chime Street By-Pass East/West Arterial
• LAYMAN SCOTT HIGH SCHOOL - All areas of Cayman Brac & Little Cayman