The Department of Children and Family Services (DCFS) under the Ministry of Community Affairs is gearing up for a busy October with the advent of its observance of Older Persons Month (OPM). The theme of this year’s appreciation of those aged 65 plus is “Positive Ageing.”
With 29 activities planned across the three islands over 22 days, it is anticipated that if previous years are anything to go by, many of our seniors will attend several of the events.
“The theme for our 2019 Older Persons Month reflects the continuing focus of the Ministry and the Department to promote and assist our ageing population,” said the Ministry’s Chief Officer Teresa Echenique.
“The Older Persons Month calendar is now available in public outlets and online, and I strongly urge seniors, their families and carers of seniors to familiarise themselves with the events scheduled throughout next month and attend as many events as possible.”
Older Persons Month will this year kick off on Tuesday, 1 October with an International Day of Older Persons Garden Party at Pedro St. James. The event, as well as officially launching the observance, will announce this year’s Older Persons Month ambassadors. As with all OPM activities, the open air event in the historic setting is open to all seniors as well as carers.
“Studies show that persons are living longer here and throughout the globe. Having a positive mental outlook, good health and continuing interest in the world around you and assistance when needed are the hallmarks of ageing well. Both the Ministry and DCFS are heavily invested in continuing to develop world-class services and programmes for seniors that support and advance this ethos,” she added.
“From the traditional island tours, Big Stage variety show and the close-out Older Persons Gala to newer events like the many Gym Days and the Movie Screening, OPM is set to be an entertaining and interactive month for our seniors,” said DCFS Director Paulinda Mendoza-Williams.
“DCFS staff have spent many hours planning and refining ideas for these OPM activities as part of their outreach mandate. This is on top of their already heavy caseloads and duties. They will be working full days in the month to come, and supervising the many weekend and evening events. As well as thanking them in advance, I’d like to take this opportunity to express gratitude to our many generous public and private sector sponsors and individual donors, for their support and contributions,” she concluded.
For more information about Older Persons Month, get copies of the OPM events calendar at the Government Administration Building, public libraries, supermarkets, district clinics, community centres, churches. Alternatively, contact the DCFS at 949-0290 or view the schedule online at http://bit.ly/2m3piSX and at http://bit.ly/2n3DjA0
Older Persons Month 2019 Calendar
The Ministry of Community Affairs’ Department of Children and Family Services is hosting this year’s Older Persons Month in October. The annual observance’s events, on all three islands next month, are free and open to all older persons and their carers.
• TUESDAY, 1 OCT - International Day of Older Persons Garden Party - Pedro St. James, 3pm-6pm
• THURSDAY, 3 OCT - Panel Discussion on Radio Cayman Talk Today - Constitution Hall (formerly George Town Town Hall), 10am-11:30am
• Cayman Brac Island Tour - 9am-1pm | Call to register
• FRIDAY, 4 OCT - Gym Day for Older Persons - Bliss Yoga, 1:30pm-2:15pm. Call to register
• SATURDAY, 5 OCT - Circle of Love Fellowship Brunch - Triple C School Hall, 10:00am-12:30pm
• SUNDAY, 6 OCT - Opening Church Service - Wesleyan Holiness Church (West Bay), 11am
• MONDAY, 7 OCT - Grand Cayman Island Tour. Call to register
• TUESDAY, 8 OCT - Bingo Night - Aston Rutty Civic Centre, Cayman Brac, 7pm-9pm
• WEDNESDAY, 9 OCT - Grand Cayman Island Tour. Call to register
• THURSDAY, 10 OCT - The Big Stage - Harquail Theatre, 6pm-8pm
• FRIDAY, 11 OCT - Gym Day for Older Persons - Bliss Yoga, 1:30pm-2:15pm. Call to register. Body Alive Gym and King’s Sports Centre. Call to register
• Little Cayman Tour & Social. Call to register
• SATURDAY, 12 OCT - Tea Party, The Pines, 4pm-6pm
• MONDAY, 14 OCT - Talk Today Radio Programme, Radio Cayman, 12pm
• Cayman Brac Island Tour - 9am-1pm. Call to register
• TUESDAY, 15 OCT - Movie Screening - Camana Bay, 1pm
• WEDNESDAY, 16 OCT - For the Health of It, Radio Cayman, 7pm
• THURSDAY, 17 OCT - Presentation on Court Services & Legal Advice, Elmslie Memorial United Church Hall, 10am-11:30am
• FRIDAY, 18 OCT - Gym Day for Older Persons - Bliss Yoga, 1:30pm-2:15pm. Call to register.
• Body Alive Gym. Call to register
• Old Time Cooking - Youth Development Centre, Cayman Brac, 9am-1pm
• SATURDAY, 19 OCT - Bingo Night - Lions Community Centre, 5pm-7pm
• SUNDAY, 20 OCT - Special Church Service - Crossroads United Baptist Church, Cayman Brac, 11am
• TUESDAY, 22 OCT - Nurse Josie’s Seniors Center Tour & Lunch - Bodden Town, 10am-12:30pm
• WEDNESDAY, 23 OCT - Cayman Brac Social, Aston Rutty Civic Centre, Cayman Brac, 10am-2pm
• FRIDAY, 25 OCT - Gym Day for Older Persons - Bliss Yoga, 1:30pm-2:15pm. Call to register. King’s Sports Centre. Call to register
• SATURDAY, 26 OCT - Older Persons Gala - Margaritaville Resort, 6pm-10pm.
Limited space. Call to register
For transport & to register for events contact: West Bay: Vanda Powery (916-7902), George Town: Dorline Welcome (925-4083), Bodden Town: Flavia Gardener (926-0490)/Carol Bodden (924-3309), North Side: Flavia Gardener (926-0490), East End: Delmira Bodden (925-5543) and Cayman Brac/Little Cayman: Annie Rose Scott (925-9872/916-7310).
18 Jun, 2020
28 Mar, 2020
11 Apr, 2020
17 Jul, 2020