Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez intends to be the first undisputed super-middleweight champion this Saturday and has plenty of motivation for it.
The pound-for-pound champ says his fight with Caleb Plant “is personal” after all the insults the 29-year-old American has been slinging his way.
When asked why the build up to the fight in Las Vegas on Saturday had become so heated, Alvarez, 31, said: “All the talk, all the s*** he says. That’s why. He crossed the line and maybe too much, that’s why it’s personal. At the same time, it’s one of the most important fights for me.”
Alvarez, who is also aiming to become the first undisputed champion from Mexico, defeated Billy Joe Saunders in March to claim his WBO belt. Plant has held the IBF belt since 2019.
“When something is personal with me, it’s different,” Alvarez added. “In my mind I have that special thing. It’s going to be a really good night for us.”
Unbeaten Plant sustained a cut after brawling with Alvarez at a Los Angeles press conference five weeks ago. Plant threw the first slap but Canelo dodged it, then returned fire with two in response that left Plant with a cut under his right eye.
Plant wants to give his best fight. He says he is inspired by Floyd Mayweather Jr's style to take the win. Mayweather's defensive generated problems for the Mexican superstar, when they fought in 2013. Canelo was still relatively inexperienced then in his sole loss in 59 bouts. He was also weight-weakened against welterweight (147lbs) Mayweather. Since then, he’s conquered all before him and has won 56 with two draws in a 16-year career that started at 15.
Mayweather saved his energy and, on multiple occasions, counter-punched Alvarez to take the victory. ‘Money’ was the first opponent to break Canelo's undefeated record, but also the one who helped him the most in his professional maturity.
During his preparation, Plant, who has won all 21 bouts, has watched videos of Mayweather and claims he’s found some of Alvarez's weaknesses to take away his place as the best boxer in the super middleweight division. In a YouTube video, Plant showed the style he has copied from Mayweather.
“I'm not going to give up my fight plan. I know that when we fight, it will be me raising my hand as the winner," he said.
Meanwhile, two days after news broke that Rolando Romero would be pulled from his 5 December fight with Gervonta Davis due to numerous accusations of sexual assault, IBF No.2 contender Isaac Cruz has agreed to step in, though nothing has yet been announced.
Cruz (22-1-1, 15 KO) was already in line for a shot at Teofimo Lopez and claims he has the grit, aggression, and willingness to defeat Davis (25-0, 24 KO). Cruz claims his recent form proves that.
Nevertheless, the hard punching Davis, managed by Floyd Mayweather, is the favourite.
27 Jan, 2020
15 Sep, 2021
15 Sep, 2021
15 Sep, 2021