The upward trajectory of positive COVID-19 cases continues with more community transmissions being confirmed.
Chief Medical Officer Dr John Lee reported that five additional cases were confirmed on Thursday plus one outstanding inconclusive cases now confirmed as positive.
This brings the number of COVID-19 cases in Cayman to 28.
Of the 15 test results presented on Thursday, 10 were negative bringing the number of negative cases to 237.
The person who had tested positive are all said to be recovering well.
There’s been only one death in Cayman linked to COVID-19, that of a cruise ship passenger who was hospitalised here initially with other complaints.
He was subsequently found to have been a carrier of the virus. That was the first case of the disease in the territory.
Other infections since then have been via people who have travelled, although recent cases have been confirmed in persons with no recent travel history.
There have been 265 tests carried out to date.
The authorities continue to urge the public to adhere to the protocols in place to prevent the spread of the virus.
CURFEW TO BE EXTENDED
Hon. Premier Alden McLaughlin said while there was no significant evidence of widespread community transmission there was nevertheless cause for concern.
As a result, he said Government is reviewing and will be extending the current curfew measures.
“There is a lack of sufficient cooperation in some quarters,” Mr McLaughlin lamented.
“There seems to be a lack of understanding of the seriousness of the situation.”
To that end, the Premier advised that Cabinet will approve the additional steps on Friday.
The hard overnight curfew which expires this weekend will be extended for another two weeks from 7pm to 5am nightly.
The daytime soft curfew and Shelter-In-Place (SIP) will also be extended for another two weeks when it comes to an end on Monday.
Furthermore, the alphabetical system successfully deployed in the supermarkets and banks will now be applied to the daytime soft curfew.
Persons with surnames beginning with the letters A to K will only be allowed out on essential business on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.
Those with surnames in starting in alphabetical order with the letters L to Z will be able to venture out on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays on approved business only.
Sundays will be hard curfew days when all residents are required to stay indoors.
In alerting the public to the pending changes, Mr McLaughlin said the objective is to reduce the continued worrying levels of public interaction.
18 Jun, 2020
28 Mar, 2020
11 Apr, 2020
17 Jul, 2020