Cayman Islands nationals in the United Kingdom have been assured that arrangements have been put in place for them to access the services of the UK’s National Health Services(NHS) should they have concerns about their health-related to the COVID-19 outbreak.
A release from the Cayman Islands UK Office in London (CIGOUK) advises:
“Caymanians will be treated as British Nationals through the NHS system of testing and assistance where necessary. Any Caymanians with positive COVID-19 results should remain in the UK and follow the guidance and assistance of the NHS.”
This is one of a series of updated measures arranged by CIGOUK in connection with the COVID-19 outbreak in the UK.
The office advises that should any Cayman national in the UK who is experiencing symptoms of the virus that they should self-isolate for up to seven days.
However, if the symptoms persist or worsen within that time, such persons are advised to then phone the NHS hotline 111.
Caymanians overseas wishing to travel home should review the current travel advice and ensure they are not exhibiting symptoms of the virus.
Direct email messages will be sent to all overseas Caymanians who are subscribed to CIGOUK and to the Cayman Connection UK (CCUK) network, and further messaging distributed through social media channels and networks.
Caymanian students who are boarding in schools in the UK, if subject to future closures, should follow the advice of the schools regarding overseas students.
CIGOUK and CCUK are also reaching out to university students in their network.
André Ebanks, Cayman Islands Representative to the UK and Europe, commented “The CIGOUK will continue to keep Caymanians in the UK and Europe informed.
“Our guidance to Caymanians overseas is on our website and we will continue share updates through social media channel,” Mr Ebanks said in the release.
He also said that Caymanians in the UK should contact the CIGOUK offices on firstname.lastname@example.org or 020 7491 7772 if they have any concerns.
Thursday’s advisory for CIGOUK follows an announcement earlier in the day by British Prime Minister Boris Johnson ramping up his government's response in tackling the spreading outbreak of COVID19 in the UK.
The UK has moved from a “contain phase” to the “delay phase” to slow down the spread of the virus.
This will also alleviate pressure on the National Health Service (NHS) and protect at-risk members of society.
It was reiterated that the vast majority of people who get the virus should suffer only mild symptoms followed by a fairly quick recovery.
Schools will not be closed in the UK at this time, but this will remain under review.